Friday, January 3, 2014

Feature: Video Game Pre-orders of 2014

When every new year begins, a fresh batch of release dates soon follow.  Teaser trailers and updates start flooding in as the developers inch closer to their deadlines.  Meanwhile, gamers flock to forums and websites to see the titles piling up, wondering what they should be adding to their pre-order lists.  If they were fortunate to escape the holiday sales unscathed, their wad of cash is sure to diminish as they explore the gaming possibilities of 2014.  We all like an assortment of genres, preferring one game mechanic over the other.  Will a particular video game give me countless hours of entertainment?  Will the gameplay be fluid and responsive?  Is the story going to be satisfying?  These and many more questions flutter through our heads as we peruse our gaming prospects.  I usually try to go where I’ll get my money’s worth; I don’t like risking day-one purchases on lesser known titles.  Reviews are my friend in most cases, but I like watching gameplay videos on the web to make a decision.  Solid controls, fresh combat, or a unique atmosphere are what I look for in any game.  An intriguing, well-written story is an aspect that sways my wallet a lot of the time as well.  Whether from Japan or from Western developers, RPGs is one of the first genres I check out.  Of course, others are attracted to the next shooters releasing, and some prefer the slower pacing of puzzle games.  However, with so many interesting games releasing this year, and with the varying degrees in what people like, I will only be focusing on the titles that have caught my eye.  As more announcements and dates surface, I may do an additional post in the future.

Wish my wallet was bigger.


Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3) – February 25
I warned you that I loved JRPGs.  The fact that this series was one of the first that I played compelled me to pre-order this HD re-release.  It is a high-definition remaster of the PS2 edition of the original Tales of Symphonia, which came out on the Gamecube in North America back in the day.  A remaster of the sequel, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, will also be included in this collection.  For those who disliked the dub, you’ll be happy to know that Chronicles will give players the option of dual audio—either English or Japanese voice tracks for both games.  The story is set in a fictional world called Sylvarant.  It follows a young boy named Lloyd Irving, who decides to accompany his childhood friend named Colette Brunel on her journey to regenerate the world.  As the group progresses in their quest, secrets of another world and the true meaning of the world’s regeneration begins to come to light.

When this was announced, I immediately went onto Amazon and pre-ordered it.  I remember I was about 11-years-old when I first played this game on the Gamecube.  Nintendo Power had featured an article about it, and I just had to get my hands on it.  The plot twists and fun combat had me hooked, and my little mind had been so pre-occupied with what would possibly happen next in the story.  I enjoyed getting to know the relatively large cast of characters.  The version I played lacked a number of side quests and combat elements exclusive to the PS2 version—which really disappointed me when I found out later.  However, I’m glad that I have the opportunity to experience them with this HD collection.  Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World on Wii was the lesser of the two games; its lack of the original voice actors and lackluster combat really irked me.  That doesn’t mean I won’t play through it once more when my copy of this collection arrives in the mail.

Thief (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC) – February 25
From Eidos Montreal and published by Square Enix, this is the reboot of the cult classic Thief series of stealth games.  It was initially announced back in 2009, so fans have been chomping at the bit for a while now.  Gameplay is very stealth heavy—combat being a less effective alternative for a situation.  Each level will have numerous paths and approaches the player can exploit, and enemy AI is supposed to be smarter than in the other games, possessing an awareness of the level design and some hiding spots.  The story is set in a dark fantasy world, melding aspects of the Victorian age and the steampunk genre.  You control a master thief named Garrett, who has returned to The City to find it being ruled over by a tyrant.  Strange things are occurring within the city, and a plague has descended on its residents.  The rich, however, have endured and are still living in good fortune.  Garrett must decide whether he will become a savior or remain a thief in the larger scale of events.

I don’t have much experience with the Thief series; I’ve never actually played any of the previous games.  They apparently were quite challenging and offered fun gameplay.  Nonetheless, since the first teaser trailer of this reboot, I’ve been very intrigued.  It holds a Dishonored vibe, and that isn’t bad thing in my book.  Who doesn’t like sneaking in the shadows, manipulating the environment around them to their advantage?  Knocking out a few guards can be pretty entertaining as well.  In most games where you get the option, I usually take the stealthy route, leveling up my stealth skills and selecting abilities that benefit my nefarious intentions.  Living the life of a master thief is something I don’t want to miss out on.  Potentially saving a city in the process is just icing on the cake.

Dark Souls II (360, PS3) – March 11
Developed by From Software, this video game is an action RPG with open world elements.  The director has stated that this installment is indirectly tied to the events of Dark Souls, unlike Demon’s Souls that was more of a standalone story.  The concept of time will apparently be a factor in the story, and it will focus on a character looking to find a cure for their agony.  The overall narrative sounds similar to the previous two games’—the character attempting to take control of their own destiny and fate in a cursed, fantastical world.  It’s been claimed that the narrative will be emotional and engaging as it was in Demon’s Souls.  The overwhelming difficulty will return in full force, trampling all those who stand in its path.  The usual multiplayer aspects of the series will most likely return, allowing players to invade worlds and leave helpful messages on the ground for all to see.

My brother and I have yet to beat Dark Souls.  It’s a type of game where you play in spurts, or where you get so frustrated by the difficulty you don’t pick it up for at least a month to cool off.  I’m not joking when I say that regular/lesser enemies can one-shot you in this.  Also, when you get to the bosses, you nearly fall over in shock, wondering how in the world you’re going to defeat them.  You shouldn’t feel bad about dying a lot, though, because the games are marketed as being extremely brutal.  You’re going to be a punching bag, and you should love it.  These games are quite atmospheric and vast in their world-building.  Instead of info-dumping, you discover the world and its characters through exploration.  Lore and history is found rather than provided to you upfront, which encourages you to take a look around.  I’m curious to see what the developers have in store for players—what terrible creatures and areas await.

Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS3, PS4, 360, XbOne, PC) – Fall 2014
This has to be one of my most anticipated games of the year.  Even with each game having its ups and downs, I’ve always loved the fantasy world of Dragon Age, its characters and plot twists keeping me coming back for more.  Using Frostbite 3 engine as a foundation, Inquisition is going to be combining elements and gameplay from DA: Origins and DA2 to find a happy medium for fans.  More emphasis will be placed on tactics and a player’s ability to position and prioritize in a fight.  The developers plan to deliver fast-paced combat but with a strategic flair.  Many fans will be overjoyed to hear that environments will not be reused as they were in DA2, and the option to play as different races has returned from DA: Origins.  Continuing from the events of DA2, the Veil has been torn, allowing demons and spirits to pour into the world.  Mages are rebelling, the Qunari are invading, and the entirety of the world has been thrust into chaos.  Players will be taking control of the Inquisitor, the person tasked to restore order and close the tear in the Veil.  As a separate entity from the Chantry, Templars, and the Circle, the Inquisitor must travel across Thedas to rebuild the Inquisition and put a stop to

Yes, Dragon Age 2 had a lot of flaws, and I have constantly nit-picked at the endings of each installment.  While others hated the lack of a clear antagonist in DA2, I argue that one did exist—one that was rather bold for the writers to try creating.  Putting the character named Anders aside, the overall politics and clashing personalities combined to make one big antagonist, which was different and something that I enjoyed.  Anyway, after seeing gameplay footage and the improvements in art and graphic design in Inquisition, I’m looking forward to what BioWare has to offer.  I don’t think they’re taking the harsh criticism they received from the last game lightly.  BioWare, give me deep characters, decent romance options, and hard decisions where the stakes are high.  I’ll be right there to throw money in your face.

*source: Game Informer
*images of Tales of Symphonia, Thief, Dark Souls II from Wikipedia
*image of Dragon Age: Inquisition from Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment