Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Review: Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search

Nickelodeon’s animated television series called Avatar: The Last Airbender was one of the company’s most popular shows.  When I first watched one of the trailers for its premiere back in 2005, my 11-year-old self was so excited that I set my alarm clock to wake me up early enough for me to tune in for the first episode.  The show’s heavy use of Asian art, culture, and mythology had me hooked from the start.  I persistently kept watching each new episode every week, and at the end of every season, I would keep an eye out for any announcements on its continuance.  The story follows the main protagonist named Aang and his group of friends, who must save the world by stopping the Fire Lord and putting an end to his destructive war.  Being the Avatar, Aang must learn all four elements—air, fire, water, and earth—before the Fire Lord’s world conquest is finished.

Avatar: The Last Airbender lasted for three seasons, ending on a 4-part conclusion in 2008.  The series won and was nominated for many awards during and after its run.  The lovable characters and engaging story had pulled me right along to its conclusion.  However, there was one main question that fans were dying to have an answer for: what became of Prince Zuko’s mother, Ursa?

Oh, how I wish this was animated!  Avatar: The Last Airbender – The Search is a 3-part comic series written by Gene Luen Yang and drawn by Gurihiru.  It is the story that reveals the fate of Zuko’s mother named Ursa.  Those who haven’t watched the television series will not likely find much interest in this; however, fans who have wanted answers ever since the TV series ended will want to pick this up.  Instead of buying the individual issues, I recently bought the complete hardcover edition.  The wide margins allowed the author, artist, and the original creators add their commentary for certain scenes, which was a neat extra.  The quality of the print and the thick paper pages is what makes me glad I purchased this version.  On the hand, the binding is something that could have been better.  Every time I touch the spine or open the book, terrible cracking sounds soon follow.  The book is still holding together perfectly fine, but it didn’t take long for the glue to fail.


Readers are reunited with the well-loved characters from Avatar once again as they follow clues to find Ursa.  The author did a wonderful job in making the dialogue believable for each character and fit with their established personalities.  Also, I appreciate that the artist seemed to emulate the animated series’ art style.  Even though their faces appear a tad chubbier and their eyes bigger at times, the characters retain their unique designs and appearances from the show.  A few panels feel jarring with their sudden white backgrounds, which make the characters appear like their standing in mid-air.  I imagine it was used to for emphasis in the particular scenes, but it was somewhat distracting for me.  Occasionally, hands and feet look smooshed, toes morphing together in some instances.  Such errors aren’t too blatant, however, and the beautiful coloring and backdrops pull the reader beyond these small flaws.

At one moment in the story, a spirit is coming out from the forest, shining in the night and towering over the group of friends.  It’s a lovely scene depicted through detailed artwork.  Sometimes the art style and the fantastical elements of this storyline made me feel like I was reading a Studio Ghibli story.  Much to my delight, the side commentary from the creators of the Avatar universe only confirmed my feelings as they describe getting inspiration from such sources.

The story is broken up into two timelines: the past and the present.  Ursa’s history and origin is told through flashbacks as Zuko and his friends discover new secrets and leads about her.  As the group’s journey progresses, the reader becomes more involved and invested in Zuko’s emotional struggles to come to terms with his past.  He must ultimately accept who he really is, learning from and letting go of a past filled with regrets and lost possibilities.  Since he’s my favorite character of the series, I had no trouble being immersed into Zuko’s inner plight and the mystery of his mother.

What made the story even more compelling was the inclusion of Azula, Zuko’s younger sister.  In the end of Avatar: The Last Airbender, Azula became mentally unhinged, her mind filled with delusions and hysteria about her mother conspiring against her.  This comic explores just how crazed she’s truly become, and I love how her unpredictable personality caused some scenes to be downright uncomfortable.  I never knew when she might lose her calm, which added a lot of suspense at certain points.  The Search’s consideration of her relationship with her mother and Zuko was an interesting aspect of the narrative.  I was drawn into her inner workings, almost to the extent of feeling sorry for her.  Even though Azula was such a thorn in Aang’s side during the events of the television series, I genuinely was getting as invested as Zuko was in trying to coax her out of her untrusting, miserable mental state.


The ending was a little too neatly packaged for my liking; it felt overly simplistic and predictable after a certain point.  I probably am judging it too harshly, seeing as how it is a story targeted toward kids.  I understand why the creators would want to end on a more light-hearted note, but I would have preferred some deeper twists.  In addition, I was frustrated by a particular outcome of a character that I wish had not been so abrupt in execution.  An extra chapter or a few more pages would have gone a long way in assisting the pacing near the end.

Although there were occasional artistic flaws and a few jokes fell flat or felt forced in areas, I enjoyed reading this.  The actual size of the book may be unwieldy to hold for some people, especially for kids and their little arms, but the print quality makes this edition hard to pass up.  I’m glad I was able to add this to my library, and getting an answer to one of the biggest questions left by the television show was quite satisfying.  Long-time fans won’t want to miss out.

Rating: Read it

*images from Amazon, Avatar wikia, & Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment