Friday, February 21, 2014

Review: Star Trek Into Darkness

I’m not any type of a Star Trek buff.  Reading summaries of episodes and hearing tidbits from fans, the most I’m familiar with is the bare bones of the original television series with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy.  I know the Vulcan salute and a few famous quotes from seeing them on nerdy t-shirts and bumper stickers.  Character backgrounds aren’t my specialty; the basics of Captain Kirk and Spock are known to me, but don’t bother asking me about the doctor, the mechanic, and the other Enterprise crew.  I struggle remembering all of their names and understanding certain references within the series.  That being said, I really enjoyed the Star Trek reboot film in 2009 directed by J.J. Abrams.  When I saw a sequel announced, I was eager to watch it.  Star Trek: Into Darkness delivers a fun, wild experience, occasionally bringing in heartfelt moments to kick viewers where it matters.  It’s not without its flaws, but its high production value and intense moments serve in getting your money’s worth.

Shall we begin?

The actors from the first movie reprise their roles: Chris Pine as Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, Zoe Saldana as Uhura, Karl Urban as Bones, and so on.  The story revolves around the crew of the Enterprise as they travel and explore the last known frontier—space.  His position threatened by his antics and lack of respect for rules and command, Captain Kirk must learn to put personal feelings aside when an enemy emerges from the midst of their own organization, Starfleet.  He is placed at the head of an important mission to hunt down this new terror, a one-man weapon of mass destruction named John Harrison.

When the first trailers released for this sequel, my interests were extremely piqued by the reveal of Benedict Cumberbatch as the antagonist.  Seeing him in the BBC television series of Sherlock, I knew he was going to dominate in this role.  The trailer was a little misleading on how prominent his character was going to play in the plot, but it served in making events a tad unpredictable during the movie’s course.

The acting was surprisingly good for what this movie is—a sci-fi action flick with some layers to its characters and story.  CGI is not overbearing in this and is blended very nicely.  Dialogue is convincing, and dramatic scenes are effective in pulling on the viewer’s different emotions.  A couple lines came off as incredibly forced—particularly an iconic scream from one of the previous Star Trek movies.  It was too tacked on for the main purpose of fan service.  A few actors felt throwaway as well, as in any average person in Hollywood could have replaced them and the movie wouldn’t have been any worse for it.  Nonetheless, there were a couple scenes that actually made me kind of sad.  In certain instances, it hit me where it hurt, and I was sucked into the moment.  I got attached to characters and their inner and outer struggles to do what’s right.

The darker, more serious tone that is set about 10 minutes into the film was something I loved.  I was genuinely surprised by the twists and turns of the story.  The modified versions and references to the old Star Trek characters and universe that I could recognize were interesting.  The overall pacing felt consistent—not too drawn out or too slow—which is a great thing to accomplish for a film longer than two hours.  It was easy for me to settle into the story’s flow and be carried along for the ride.  The ending and the wrap-up to all the events may be quick, but I don’t consider it a negative aspect.  The wrap-up was short and sweet; time has passed and things are moving on.  It’s how I imagine a Star Trek episode or movie is supposed to end.


Also, this might be my inner fangirl coming out again, but Benedict Cumberbatch managed to steal every scene he was in.  If he had more screen time, even just to stand around and talk cool, I wouldn’t have complained.  It was fascinating how the writers kept me second guessing myself about his character’s alliances.  The viewer obviously gets this intimidating air from him, setting off alarm bells that warn you not to trust the guy.  However, the intricacies of his mind and how it works are on full display as the movie progresses.  The saying “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” has a huge presence in this, and the story takes this faulty motto to its logical conclusion many times.

One element that had me moaning in disdain and cradling my head in shame was a “fix-all” item being introduced at one point.  I understand that this is the Star Trek universe where space magic and seemingly miraculous happenings can occur and are allowed.  In addition, I hadn’t known that another installment was already planned.  It makes sense that they needed to do what they did to have any chance of continuance.  But then again, I find such things cheap in terms of writing.  It collapses the entire emotional impact for me, causing the majority of the ending to lose all seriousness.  I’m not exceedingly enraged by the move; I didn’t prefer it, but it’s something I can let roll off my back.  In other words, it doesn’t stop me from still acknowledging that this was a great, entertaining movie.  It had layers, it had believable character development, and it had awesome science fiction setup.  It’s definitely something a fan of the first movie or old TV series should give a try.  I think people who enjoy sci-fi films in general would also get a kick out of this.

So, get the popcorn ready and make an evening of it.

Rating: Watch it

*images from IMDb and Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment